Tuesday, January 25, 2011

American Football in Italy - Yes, it Exists


I'm an American, I'm a sports fan, I'm a soccer fan, I'm a football fan, I'm a Serie A fan. While watching Major League Soccer grow in the United States, I've grown an appreciation and interest in watching the development of American football in Europe, especially Italy, home to my favorite soccer team and league (Roma and Serie A). American football has garnered sustainable followings mainly in Northern Europe and especially in Germanic regions, so it's not surprising that its strongest foothold in Italy is in the northern regions, but it's reach extends down to Sicily. Most of the players are Italians who are not paid, but each team has a couple of American players on salary and coaches tend to be American. For more information on the Italian Football League - CLICK HERE - the season doesn't start till late March.











No comments:

Post a Comment